School Closures frequently asked questions:
- How will I know if my child's school is closed?
- How is the decision to close a school made?
- What can I do to prepare for school closures?
How will I know if my child's school is closed?
Stoke-on-Trent City Council has developed this website to publicise school closures. Headteachers (or a relevant designated member of staff) can update closure information directly to this website allowing parents and carers to view real time information on their child's school.
Any school closures reported to the local authority will display on the front page of this website.
Other methods of communication may include:
- Message on school website or school Learning Platform / portal
- Message on school answer machine
- Notice on school gates
- Announcement on the local radio stations (radio stations will be asked to refer to this website for up to date information)
- Tweet on the @StokeLearning twitter feed (repeating details from this website) so parents can receive details of closures directly to your mobile phone or email.
How is the decision to close a school made?
The decision to close a school is made by the Headteacher and the schools’ governing body. They will determine whether the school can open as normal and if the site will remain safe throughout the day and whether children and staff can travel safely to and from school. All schools will open if they can however they maybe forced to close half-way through the day if the weather gets worse - this is to make sure pupils’ and staff can get home safely.
Stoke-on-Trent City Council recommends that the decision to close the school is made as early as possible allowing schools to quickly inform parents/carers by the relevant methods.
What can I do to prepare for school closures?
There are a number of things you can do to prepare for school closures. These include:
- Ensuring your child's school has up-to-date contact details for you
- Checking that mobile phones are charged, have credit and have up to date daytime contact numbers for Mum/Dad etc
- If the house may be empty during the day, check your child has a key or knows where to go if the school closes early.
- Asking your child's school how they will inform parents about school closures
- Making sure you know your child's school's website address and phone number to the school office
- Having the web address for the Stoke-on-Trent School Notification website to hand:
- Following @StokeLearning on Twitter
- Putting in place emergency childcare arrangements so that if the school closes, both you and your child know what will happen. Double checking these from time to time is a good idea